WARNING: Long, and emotional (well, for me) post ahead.....
Lots on my mind about the whole baby department.
Well, that's what I've been having. Thoughts. What kind of thoughts? Thoughts of another baby. Yes, you heard right. Another Ashcraft baby. In some ways I want to have another one, and start trying, and then other parts of me say: No, not right now. Unfortunately, for me. The part that is saying yes, start trying feels more and more like the spirit rather than me. I've had this feeling since about March. The feeling where I just feel overwhelmed with the thought that we need to start trying for another one, and soon. I'm not quite sure as to why we need to, but feel that I need to do some more praying. I need reassurance that another baby now is what needs to happen for our family. Trying for a baby is scary for me. Very nerve wracking.
The last time we prayed about if we should have a baby, we got the answer that: "Yes, you need to start trying now." So we did. We got pregnant a couple of months later, and were excited. We then went to my 12 week appt., in Nov., right before Thanksgiving. I saw our baby on the screen, and it looked a lot smaller than what all the books were saying it should. Then, my doctor did the measurements, and I saw the measurement: 8.5 weeks. I knew. I just knew. At that time, the room become a tunnel. It was me, and this screen. I didn't see anything else, except for our baby. That was no longer with us. My doctor put the doppler part of the screen, and I saw no blood going through the umbilical cord, or to my baby. My heart sank. We had lost our baby, at 11.5 weeks. For some reason, my body had not started the miscarriage process. We scheduled a D&C, and the day before Thanksgiving my body started the process. It was a painful process, both mentally, and physically. I was confused and had soooo many questions. I didn't know why this happened, or why Heavenly Father had this as his plan. He had told us to start trying, but why if this is what was going to happen? So, I was told by my doctor to wait at least one cycle before trying again. We did, and the day before Easter, we found out we were expecting again. Wow. BUT. Another set back. It took forever for the line to show up on the pregnant test, and I knew. Again. I knew. Something wasn't right. I called my doc on Monday, and had an appt. scheduled for a week later. But on Monday night I had a little spotting. Brett told me not to worry and to take it easy the next day. Relax and chill. So I did. Then Wednesday morning, it was apparent something was wrong. I knew something was wrong. I had started bleeding, and called my doctor. I was told to come in for a blood level check. The next day they told me my numbers, and said that I was indeed pregnant, and that we would recheck the levels in 2 days. They should double. They didn't. They decreased. So once again, we had tried for a baby, gotten pregnant, but it didn't stay with us. I was angry. Confused, angry, hurt, sad, and angry some more. I was angry with Heavenly Father. I had no idea why this was the plan, and frankly was tired of HIS plan. The emotions lasted for a while. My doctor told me to wait AT LEAST 2 cycles. If/When I became pregnant, I needed to call right away, b/c they would get my levels checked, and start me on Progesterone. I agreed, and really had no problem waiting. Why would I want to go through this again? So, I started thinking. I realized that I shouldn't be angry w/ Heavenly Father, but somehow trust in him and trust his plan. I didn't want to trust. I did that, and had been hurt. I got very angry, and didn't care to really go to church, or have anything to do with church. Anybody that I saw that was pregnant, I was incredibly jealous. Especially if they were having an easy, no complications pregnancy. I thought about everything and thought a lot.
I decided that 2 cycles wouldn't be bad to wait, maybe more.
I wanted to lose a little bit of weight, and let my body recover. So I started WW. I was happy on WW, and was doing great. Things got better as I admitted I was angry with Heavenly Father. It was amazing. As soon as I admitted my anger, and told Heavenly Father and Brett that I was angry, and mad, my feelings seemed to melt. I felt happier, and my soul felt much lighter. It was then that I realized I needed to admit my anger. Over the next few months, things started to get better. I was losing the weight I wanted, and feeling lots better. Two cycles came and went, and Brett asked if I was ready to start trying again. I told him no. I said that I had a few more pounds to lose, and didn't quite feel ready again. I was nervous. Flat out scared crapless. So, the end of my third cycle came, and I said I wasn't fully ready to start trying, but I wasn't going to prevent. I didn't chart my temps, and I didn't really look at the calendar. Except, for one day I was exhausted. EXHAUSTED. I had to take a nap, or else I was going to fall over and die. Later that day I looked at the calendar. I was supposed to be starting my period in the next 3 days. I KNEW. My periods came like clock-work. I'm not kidding. I could almost tell you down to the hour. So, I bought a pregnant test, and decided that if I didn't start my period in the middle of the night, that I would test. EARLY. I told Brett that I thought I was pregnant and he said, well, why don't you wait a week and then test. Me, being impatient, tested anyway. It said:
That is the exact picture from that test. I was pregnant. Again. I felt MUUUUCH more at ease with this one. I called the doc on Monday, went in that same day for levels to be drawn, and was called in a prescription for Progesterone.
I had no idea what was in store for this pregnancy. I found out I was pregnant at 4.5 weeks. Needless to say, when you find out that early, you're pregnancy goes by real slow.
At 5,5 weeks, I got horribly sick with a virus. Lots of people said that's really scary, b/c a virus can cause you to miscarry if you're still early in pregnancies. YIKES. I got through that fine, and then was sick the next 10 weeks. Didn't realize until after my pregnancy, and after people told me that Progesterone tends to do that to you.
That is my first hesitation with having another baby. Now, given the fact, that I will be put on Progesterone early on again, I still get nervous with the history of 2 miscarriages.
So, in the end we got a beautiful baby girl...
Lily Reese....
I was so happy that she was finally here, and safe. I was over the moon. She has been an easy baby from the time she was born, and is so incredibly sweet. She is such a big girl, but at the same time is still such a baby.
My 2nd hesitation is this (granted, it's not as huge as my first one): I had 5 1/2 years to get to know Molly one on one before having Lily. I'm so worried that she will be jipped if we have another baby this quick. I'm afraid that I won't get to know her as well as I got to know Molly before Lily arrived. I'm worried about the age difference and how it will affect me. Will I go crazy with having 2 kids that close in age, will I breeze through it? Will I still get to know Lily? What do you other moms think about the age? Would you prefer more time in between, does it work for you? Why? Do you feel that your other child(dren) got jipped?
I didn't expect this post to be this long, but once I got on the subject of the beginning of trying, it just all poured out of my fingers. It's good for scrapbooking purposes to have it down too, so I just kept going. Let me know what ya'll think about my hesitations. I'm needing some advice from other mom's. I know I ultimately will have to kneel down and pray extremely hard, and listen. That will be my ultimate answer, but it will help to have some advice from other moms with kids close in age and if you also have some far in age.
Thank you for sticking with me through this LOOOOONG post. Bet you didn't think I had that in me did ya?
Well, I better go now........off to do something productive.
My girls!!!













10 sunshines:
I had no idea about everything you have been through!! I am not a mom yet so I don't really have any advice about spacing kids out (I spent 5 years just getting to know Mike before we decided to have kids)!! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks pregnancy is scary at times! I know you will be able to figure out what to do! If only we knew what the Lord knows....
I am sorry you had to struggle to get pregnant and to have the unbearable pain of miscarriages. My girls being so close together (17 months) is a struggle at times but it is so much fun as well! A child's laughter is THE MOST PRECIOUS GIFT!! Once the girls were old enough to play together (around 6 months of age for Kendall), it made things so much better. As far as not having the time to spend with the younger one, it's true they do get less of your time. But I find that with Ernie's help, I can take Kendall while he spends time with Makinzi. So it's important that Brett understand you NEED your bonding time with baby #3.
The hardships that some women go through to become mothers has always been a mystery to me. While my experiences were different, I very much feel your pain. You are a fantastic mother. Listen to the spirit & trust your Heavenly Father. He will bless you & take care of you. I feel like as long as you are aware (and clearly you are) that you don't want having another baby to take away what you have with Lily, you won't let it. Brett is also an excellent dad & like Tiffany said, you can use his help to get one on one time with each of your children. And you know Lily (and Molly) can always come over here:)
It's strange that you wrote this post because I have been thinking about this stuff non stop since we talked last week. It's such a scary road to go down and I just don't know when you or I are suppose to travel down it. I always thought that I would want my children close in age (2 or so years a part) but now that just doesn't seem right. I guess we'll just have to see what the future holds. I'll be praying for you. Love ya!
Hey Melaine,
I can tell you that I know how you are feeling. I had a miscarriage between my two and trying again was SO hard. I dealt with being on progesterone and all of that as well. It is a scary feeling and unless you have been there you have really no idea what it is like to have that fear. We struggle with this too however ours is a little different as I just fell like I am getting to old ;-) But would love to have another. I will be 37 in January. My kids are 11 and 5 1/2. They are 5 yrs apart and I LOVED the age gap for the very reason you stated. I fell like I had the very best time with each one and really got to know them as they were babies. That being said I don't think it is the only way to go. I think you can get to know them both and spend quality time if they are close together to. I just knew I did not have the patience or desire to do that at the time. Pray about it and you will know what is right. I will pray for you as well.
Hey Melaine,
I can tell you that I know how you are feeling. I had a miscarriage between my two and trying again was SO hard. I dealt with being on progesterone and all of that as well. It is a scary feeling and unless you have been there you have really no idea what it is like to have that fear. We struggle with this too however ours is a little different as I just fell like I am getting to old ;-) But would love to have another. I will be 37 in January. My kids are 11 and 5 1/2. They are 5 yrs apart and I LOVED the age gap for the very reason you stated. I fell like I had the very best time with each one and really got to know them as they were babies. That being said I don't think it is the only way to go. I think you can get to know them both and spend quality time if they are close together to. I just knew I did not have the patience or desire to do that at the time. Pray about it and you will know what is right. I will pray for you as well.
Melanie, Ican see shy the idea of having another baby is scary for you. I think the ultimate answer is through prayer. If having another baby is truly God's will I believe he will provide. Hopefully with the knowledge you received during your prgnancy with Lily will help you this time around. Whenever you have another child know that it can work. My children are all about three years apart and I think its wonderful how close they all are. I think it can be hard on the middle child, but you just have to make sure to do something special for each of them when you can feel their needs. I wouldn't change their closeness for the world and they love each other fiercely.Good luck and God bless
I just think that you are all arond awesome Melanie. We will start praying for you in our family prayers! Love ya!
Thanks for saying hi on our blog- it was nice to meet you at Natalie's shower (when I got home my daughter asked what I did, I told her I sat around with some ladies and talked about babies and barf. Her face was priceless). They all had a blast at the pool so I'm glad they all got together! I wanted to comment on this post just to say that if you are open to the Lord's direction, you will know when it's time. And He will show you how His timing is really best after all. I worried all the way up to right before the birth of our third about how it would impact he family, especially our second daughter. But in the couple of months before, she became less clingy, more independent and finally was very happy and adjusted well to her little brother. It's all such a risk in so many ways, as you well know. But you are never alone.
Melanie, you don't know me but I'm friends with both Brooke and Arianne and I saw the pictures you took of their babies and I would love to pay you to take some of mine! Please email me at ericapeeler@mac.com.
I feel miscarriages happen for good reasons that we don't always understand at the time. I had 3 of them. During my last miscarriage I felt God tell me that righteous families are blessed. Having my third miscarriage didn't feel like a blessing, but I trusted God and only 3 weeks later I got pregnant with twins. He knows when you are done, don't worry, everyone has to have some trials.
Post a Comment